Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Day in the Life: Atlanta Wedding Videographer Eric Blanks Media

Happy Wedding Wednesday!  I'm excited to bring a new series to the blog titled "Day in the Life".  In this spotlight I will feature Q&A from select Atlanta wedding professionals.   For brides and grooms this should provide excellent insight into what to expect when hiring wedding professionals.




Name: Eric Blanks

Company: Eric Blanks Media

Website:  ericblanksmedia.com

Why did you choose a career in videography?

Both my father and brother had a huge influence in my choice of becoming a
videographer. I've been around cameras (both video and film) my entire life
so it was only a matter of time. I can recall seeing my first cinematic
wedding online and thought to myself..."Wow, that was awesome. I would
love to create something so visually stunning, heart-felt and moving!"

Describe your typical wedding videography client experience.

Most(~80%) of my inquires come from online and the remaining from a phone
call. I typically try to help all potential clients, even if they don't
book with me. After I inform a couple of my package prices, if they want
to move forward I set up a face-to-face meeting before any contracts are
signed or money is exchanged. If a couple lives out of town I typically
schedule a video chat consultation.  My consultations typically last from
30 minutes to an hour. At the consultation meetings I typically don't
discuss contracts unless the couple asks first. The last thing I want for a
couple is to feel pressured.

After a couple decides they want to proceed usually a deposit is sent in
with the contract(snail mail, or electronic).  Once the contract and
payment are received I block off that date from my calendar.  I usually
stay in contact with the couple up into the wedding day. Typically the
wedding planner would send me a schedule a few days out in which I may ask
to insert a few items into the schedule if necessary(i.e. vow prep
writing or toast prep writing).

What sets Eric Blanks Media apart from other wedding videography companies?

We produce true cinematic films. A lot of companies say they are cinematic
but you don't hear any sound from the actual ceremony, reception, etc. I
purchase cinematic music that sometimes takes me days to find the perfect
score. I also have the necessary equipment to produce a cinematic
film (slider, dolly, drone, audio equip, etc).

Speaking of the drone,  tell us more about this feature.

The first time I saw a drone video I knew I had to purchase one.
Even though I never saw it in a wedding film(I'm sure people have used it
prior to my knowledge), I knew that it would separate me from other
videographers. The drone I use has it own stabilizing system so the shots
are flawless! I try to open all of my films with an aerial shot.

How would you describe your video recording style?  

Simple yet effective. I let my equipment work for me. It's mostly about angles and
proper lighting and a good mix of camera movement.

What advice would you give to a couple when searching for a wedding videographer?

DSLR cameras provide a better cinematic experience than a
traditional camcorder.  Make sure that the videographer uses stabilizing
equipment. My pet peeve is shaky footage.

What do you enjoy most about filming weddings? 
 Seeing the excitement of couples and being able to capture those moments.
  
Thank you Eric for allowing me to interview you and helping me to kick off this new series!
Go to http://ericblanksmedia.com/portfolio/videos/ to check out Eric's video portfolio and tell him I sent you!

Happy Planning!
Raven J.

No comments:

Post a Comment